07 - Getting started - Live chat
This article will help get you to get set up with live chat so that you can start chatting live with customers on your website. This article will cover
- How it works
- How to connect your Slack account to use live chat
- How to turn live chat on/off
- How to join conversations
- How setting your availability works
- Setting an automatic response
- Automatically request email
At the bottom of this article, there will be links to other related articles.
How it works
All you have to do is connect your Slack workspace with your Continually account then select a channel. Then once someone gets in touch with you we notify you in the channel, who they are and what they have said and you can jump into a live chat conversation with them.
How to connect your Slack account to use live chat
- Along the top navigation go to Live chat, then click on the Connect Slack button.
- Then sign into your Slack workspace and select the channel you wish to receive all your notifications.
Tip: Before connecting set up a new channel in your Slack workspace to receive these notifications and invite-only teammates who will be responding to live chat messages
How to turn Live chat on/off:
- You need to connect your Slack workspace before you can turn Live chat on.
- Along the top navigation go to Live chat
- Then in Live chat settings, you will have an on/off switch.
Note: Live chat does not interfere with your chatbots and can be turned on and off at any time.
How to join a live chat conversation
When a lead comes to your page and leaves a live chat message you will get a notification in Slack. We show as much possible information to help you understand where the lead has come from.
Anyone in your team can click on Join conversation to reply
Note: Your teammates do not need Continually accounts to join a live chat conversation
Setting your availability
When it comes to setting your customers' expectations around response time, we help out by checking your status on Slack.
If you are offline, we notify your customers saying that you are offline and will respond asap. If they leave a message, we automatically request an email so you don't miss the lead.
For us to use your Slack status you must select your Slack name in settings.
- Go to the Live chat page
- Make sure Slack is connected and Live chat is on
- Select your name from the dropdown list
Setting an automatic response
When someone gets in touch through live chat, it's good to prompt them to let them know that their message has been received and someone will help ASAP. You can customise what you want to say on the Live chat page
Automatically request email
Sometimes you just can't respond quick enough, so the lead ends up leaving... Well, you can add an automatic email capture so that you can always send a follow-up email so you don't miss that lead.